So like with any home reno project things don’t always go to plan!
When we started taking down walls and working on the house it became clear that when the house was originally built they took a few shortcuts. When we were removing the cornices to take the walls down and strip the wallpaper we noticed the ceiling start to sag. It became clear straight away that the ceiling wasn’t very secure. We weighed up the pros and cons of securing the original ceiling or just re-gibbing it completely and we decided to re-gib.
Lucky we did. Once we decided to remove the old ceiling we started taking a few nails out and the whole thing collapsed. It turns out it had no screws in it at all and was only nailed on around the edges. Talk about dodgy!
So the ceiling came down and we replaced it with a nice new solid and secure one in its place. When it came down so did all the insul fluff….what a mess!!
|All cleaned up and ready for the new ceiling|
|New ceiling up|
So the ceiling and walls had all been gibbed and we were now ready to have the plasterers do their thing! If you want to keep following our home reno progress check out the next post here!