I’m probably one of the laziest mums when it comes to feeding my boys. They tend to eat scrambled eggs and carrot sticks for dinner far too many times a week. The one thing about what they eat is that 90% of it is nourishing healthy food, the other 10% is usually bribery for good behaviour when we are out! Wherever I can make something simpler and healthier I am all over it!
I am so sick and tired of hearing about how hard it is to eat healthy meals, and how expensive it is to buy healthy foods. This is just not the case! I bet you the bag of Kale to make kale chips costs about the same as a bag of corn chips, my 20 pack of free range eggs cost the same as a couple of happy meals yet feed my kids and myself for at least 10 meals! It doesn’t all have to have a million fancy ingredients, in fact I find good wholesome nourishing foods not only quicker, but easier too and YES THEY STILL TASTE GOOD!
Eating healthier options does not mean your food bill doubles, in fact if you quit buying all those muesli bars and other pre packaged sugar laden foods you may find your weekly bill becomes cheaper. Im not saying this happens immediately. I found the first few shops where you are stocking up on the essentials (which lasts for months) tend to cost a bit more but once you have those essentials its just about topping the fridge up weekly!
My Pancakes are a prime example!
I have shared my pancakes that I make the boys over on Snapchat numerous times and I always get messages about quantities and how to make them so I thought I would pop them here with step by step instructions. They are Arden’s absolute favourite and make the perfect breakfast, lunch or snack!
Now I can’t take all the credit, I am sure I saw these online somewhere at some stage however I have tweaked it and made it my own, they are pretty fool proof so you can tweak them and make them your own too.
So there are two ways to make them…option one is with 2 ingredients, and option two is with 3 ingredients.
Egg and Bananas are the two main things you need to whip up these bad boys, and what do you know they cost absolute peanuts to buy! $1.99 per kg for bananas and my trusty 20 pack of Free range eggs for $9 means that a batch of pancakes probably would cost something like $2 (if that, maths aint my strong point!)
The reason I say that they could be 3 ingredient pancakes is because you can add some flour of your choice too to make them lighter and fluffier. I have tried coconut and spelt flour in the past but recently I have just been using brown rice flour.
So enough with the ramblings…I tend to do that a lot if you haven’t noticed! Here is the recipe you have all been asking about. This would make about 10 pancakes, but if you want to make more and keep them for a snack later on (I never have any left around here – gone as fast as I can make them!) simply double the recipe.
TWO INGREDIENT PANCAKE RECIPE
2 x eggs
1 x large banana or two small bananas
Optional – 1T Flour of your choice (I used brown rice flour)
- Mash the banana/s in a bowl.
- Throw in your eggs and whisk them through the eggs with a fork.
- add in your flour if you are choosing to use it and mix it in thoroughly.
- Heat up your frying pan and add a bit of coconut oil if its not a non stick one.
- Once its hot, spoon in tablespoons of your pancake mixture and cook them like you would any other pancakes.
- When you start seeing them cooked around the edges and bubbles in the middle flip them to cook the other side.
- Now simply serve! My kids eat them as is, they are sweet enough already from the bananas, but you could make a fancy meal of it with some greek or natural yoghurt and some berries on top!